Sunday, March 11, 2018

Recently, I received an email from Dollar Shave Club, of which I am a member. It is a really innovative company that has a strong online presence. The brand has a cheeky personality and creates a lot of original content based on bathroom humor and personal grooming. It is clear that the brand's target audience is millenial men, because they are tech savvy, concerned with their physical appearance, usually looking for a deal and appreciate a good life hack. The email I received was not my monthly invoice or their e-newsletter, that I have come to expect regularly. It was actually asking about me and my passion with the the subject line "What's Your Thing?"  Through the #DSCYourThing campaign, Dollar Shave Club is expressing interest in their consumer and offering support in the form of a $1,000 grant contest for entrepreneurs/nonprofits/hobbyists. They are encouraging members to share their own story on Instagram while bringing attention to the company's brand and creating a new level of trust through charitable giving. For three months, followers will be watching to see which cause will win a weekly award.
This campaign does not make me more likely to purchase from Dollar Shave Club because I have an existing account that I use regularly. It is a good product for a third of in-store purchase price. Not only is it a great deal on a good product (shipping included) but, the service is where the value is at. I pay $3.00 a month to not have to think about buying new razors. Before I even need a refill, they arrive in my mailbox. This service, to me, is so valuable that they do not even have to sell it. It sells itself to anyone that hears about it. Once you do the math, it is a no-brainer.
For this campaign, the target market are engaged citizens that have already built or are actively building a social media following for their own cause. Once they post the story of their cause with the #DSCYourThing, their followers will learn of Dollar Shave Club and are almost guaranteed to become instant customers if they recognize the value of the service offered, not to mention the positive impression charitable giving leaves. Of course people will want to do business with a company that donates to an organization they are personally interested in. That is why Dollar Shave Club's social media campaign is so effective.
However, I feel that Dollar Shave Club could be more effective in this campaign if they opened it up to additional social media channels. As they say, "cast a wide net, catch more fish"

No comments:

Post a Comment