Sunday, March 4, 2018

AMEX Celebrates Adulthood


American Express had suffered a big loss with Costco terminating their partnership in 2016 but that didn’t seem to affect them as much as expected. I believe a part of that has to do with their effective marketing and social media campaign with Tina Fey. In it, they promoted their “Blue Cash” AMEX card with congratulating people on doing “Adult” tasks. I believe this made it enjoyable for people to share videos doing things that most people may not be interested in unless they were directly involved. They’ve been able to take people’s successes, such as a promotion or other favorite adult topics (another example used is a dinner party) and turn it into a social celebration with Tina Fey filming clips about them. The videos were so popular among viewers, they had over 30 million views. As far as making me want to purchase the product/enrolling in their credit card, I found it enjoyable and I like Tina Fey. However, I try to be responsible with opening credit cards, but it did tug at my emotions a bit. I found it to be effective because it’s inclusive. It makes me want to share videos of my little successes and be more involved. It’s effective because it makes it about the customer and not about them. Their target market appears to be females from 35 and up as they make most of the purchasing decisions and Tina Fey is relatable to that demographic.  The videos are hilarious!  As far as being more effective, I don’t believe so. AMEX cards are usually targeted to a specific income bracket as well so unless they want to completely change who they target, I think they do a great job. It’s clearly worked for them.

1 comment:

  1. I always felt you had to make a lot of $$ for an AMEX, good share and the videos are too funny!

    ReplyDelete